Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Luca's nursery!

This is a post I've been meaning to write for..uh... seven months? It's going to feel sooo good to hit publish on this one:) Luca's nursery took a while to complete with some of the details, but we had the majority of it done before we left for the hospital the day I delivered Luca.

I knew I wanted something fun, but not too over the top. When I told hubs I was thinking a safari theme, he went nuts sending me pictures of monkeys hanging, decals on the wall, and not-so-subtle animals scattered throughout the nursery. We had to meet somewhere in the middle and this is what we got!

 When we bought our house, this room was pink pink pink... with wallpaper. One of our first projects in the house was to take off the wallpaper, and I was surprised at how easy it was. I had seen shows on HGTV and DIY where it took an entire day just to remove the wallpaper, so I was ready with my steamer and scraper. I think we got really lucky with that one. The wall colors are Benjamin Moore French White and I can't remember the green (I'll find it and update).
I wanted Luca's initial above his crib, but wanted to incorporate the giraffe pattern, so I painted the L (from Michael's) the same color as the wall, purchased the oval wood (also Michael's), and had hubs staple the fabric. It actually ended up being quite the project, and I can post more if anyone is interested.
My fabulous mother-in-law made the crib skirt and valances, and I love them! The fabric is Giraffe Java from fabric.com.
We used one of our maternity photos taken by Amanda of Doubly Happy Photography as a gallery wrap from mpix.

We also had Luca imprint his hands and foot for us to remember... love those little hands:)

The woman who helps clean our house made Luca this name collage out of photographs she has taken locally and in her back yard. You might not be able to tell, but the trees spell his name. We love it (and love her) and I think it works perfectly in the room!
Zebra light switch: etsy seller Spotted Dog Studios
Elephant toy: Pottery barn kids

I searched and searched to find the perfect prints for Luca's nursery. I wanted photos of real animals with their babies, and I found so many beautiful pictures, but they were all only available in large poster size. I finally found a photographer on etsy that had the perfect combination! Photos: Suzi Eszertas on Etsy


...and of course Max has to have his own bed in the nursery!
This might be my favorite part of Luca's nursery- his elephant hamper! I registered for this knowing that it was a silly thing to ask for, but hoping I might be able to use my completion discount. My MIL actually gave it to me for my birthday- the BEST present!

So Luca's nursery is finally done! Now onto the next nursery! This time I'm thinking pink:)

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute nursery! Love the shots of animals and their babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! I'm so glad it's done, and now it's already time to plan nursery #2!

    ReplyDelete