Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Feels like fall

With the temperature a lot cooler these days, I've been craving warm dishes, yummy smells, and cuddles with my boys. I love when other blogs share recipes, so I thought I might share my recipe for veggie chili (with chicken!). Hubs will eat vegetarian dishes, but doesn't really love them unless there's some sort of meat so although it recipe is actually excellent without meat, I choose to add it. You could add ground beef, shredded chicken, diced pork, or leave it veggie!
 

Ingredients:
1 large onion
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 large/medium zucchini
1can whole corn (frozen or fresh off the cob will work too), drained
28 oz diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
15 oz (or more if you like beans) black beans, rinsed and drained
optional- 15oz pinto beans
1 cup picante sauce
1cup water or low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp basil

2 large chicken breasts, either sauteed or diced and boiled for a few minutes. I like to season the chicken with cumin and garlic pepper before sauteing.

Step 1: chop all veggies

Step 2: saute onion in about 1tbsp vegetable oil until translucent, add all other veggies, spices, corn and tomatoes and saute for about 5 minutes. If you're using frozen corn, saute earlier with onions.

Step 3: after combining veggies, cook chicken thoroughly and drain

Step 4: Add chicken and beans to veggies and add picante sauce, chicken broth. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 25 min

* I actually will add more liquid and/or picante if it seems like it's a little too thick, but hubs likes his soup chunky!

Serve over rice or we like this with dinner rolls. 

Step 5: clean up your helper and get him to bed!

Hope everyone is enjoying fall so far- I love when it's cool enough I can light my spiced pumpkin yankee candles!

No comments:

Post a Comment